Residential resources, Twin Cities
For information on recycling pickup in other cities contact your city office.
Aspen collects your recycling every other week on your trash service day. Please have your carts out by 6:30 a.m.
Aspen provides a 65 gallon container for single sort recycling in addition to a 35, 65 or 95 gallon container for trash.
You are assigned a pickup week — GREEN or GRAY — depending on where you live.
If you live in Bloomington, your recycling will be collected on the GREEN week. Aspen serves the City of Bloomington through a city-managed contract for waste and recycling services, so if you are a resident of Bloomington, please direct questions to the City at 952-563-8726 or visit https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov.
If you live in Richfield, your recycling will be collected on the GRAY week.
If you live in Apple Valley or Burnsville, please see your new customer information or call Aspen Customer Service at 612-884-8008 for information regarding your collection week.
Please call 612-884-8008 with any questions.
Get Aspen’s residential holiday collection and recycling calendars here.
Single sort recycling instructions
Place these items together in your cart
- Bottles, containers, tubs and lids smaller than 3 gallons (#1, #2, #5)
- Aluminum, steel, tin cans
- Beer, wine, liquor bottles
- Food jars
- Glass jars
- Pie tins
- Brown grocery bags
- Cardboard, flattened
- Cereal, cracker, pasta boxes
- Dairy and juice cartons
- Electronics boxes
- Foil containers
- Mail, office & school paper
- Magazines, catalogs
- Newspapers and inserts
- Phone books
- Pop and beer boxes
- Shoe boxes, gift boxes
DO NOT INCLUDE
- Auto, mirror or tinted glass
- Blueprints, transparencies
- Carbon paper
- Hazardous waste or containers
- Crystal glassware
- Disposable diapers
- Egg carton boxes
- Light bulbs
- Metal or steel objects such as nails, wire, hangers or case strapping
- Paper towels, napkins, tissue
- Pet-soiled paper
- Photos, photographic paper
- Plastic bags
- Pyrex, heat-resistant ovenware
- Rubber-type materials, latex
- Self-adhesive labels
- Wax coated boxes
- Rinse food from containers
- Break down large items
- Flatten cardboard & boxes
- Extra cardboard boxes can be flattened and tied into bundles no more than
- 3 ft. long by 3 ft. wide by 1 ft. tall and placed next to your cart.
Organics recycling instructions
ACCEPTABLE* FOR ORGANICS RECYCLING
- All FOOD scraps
- Pizza boxes
- Egg cartons
- Non-recyclable PAPER products:
- Napkins, paper towels, tissues
- Uncoated paper plates, cups, food containers, utensils
- Uncoated straws
- All BPI Certified compostable products certified by:
- Biodegradable Products Institute
- Cedar Grove Certified Products
- Other compostable products including:
- Coffee grounds and filters
- Tea bags
- Plants and flowers
- Wooden items such as chopsticks, popsicle sticks and toothpicks
NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR ORGANICS RECYCLING
- PLASTICS of any kind including: styrofoam, plastic bottles, condiment packets, plastic packaging, chip bags, candy wrappers, compostable plastics that do not meet BPI Certification standards.
- Coffee cups not certified compostable
- Fast food wraps, plastic coated paper, freezer boxes
- Milk cartons, and other beverage cartons
- Paper coated with foil
- Cardboard boxes coated in wax
- Wood pallets
- METAL items including foil, metals, cans
- Diapers, sanitary products, pet waste
- Cleaning wipes
- Liquids or oil
- Recyclable items: cartons, glass, plastic, paper, metal
*Only certified compostable bags may be used. If the driver identifies non-compostable plastic bags or other contamination in an organics load, service will be delayed until the container can be dumped as regular trash, and applicable fees for extra trash and/or extra trip charges will apply.
If you are a Bloomington resident, please contact the City of Bloomington at 952-563-8726 to schedule an appliance or electronic pickup.
Compostable bags are required for bagged yard waste, or, you may request a wheeled Yard Waste Cart (additional charges apply). Call Aspen customer service at 612-884-8008. The Biodegradable Products Institute product catalog lists certified compostable products.
Yard Waste Season
Yard waste season normally runs from April through November, weather permitting. Specific dates change each year.
On-Call Yard Waste Plan
Call Aspen by noon the day before your regular service day (by noon Friday if your pickup day is Monday) to schedule pickup of your bagged, bundled or carted yard waste along with your regular trash collection. Yard waste will not be picked up without prior authorization. A service charge will be billed for each bag, bundle, or cart-full picked up.
Schedule a one-time yard waste pickup. Or, call Aspen customer service at 612-884-8008.
Premium Yard Waste Plan
For a non-refundable annual fee, we will pick up unlimited bagged, bundled or carted yard waste each week along with your regular trash collection during the yard waste season. You may sign up for the premium yard waste plan at any time during the yard waste season. If you cancel your Aspen trash service, your yard waste plan is also cancelled. Yard waste plan annual fees are non-refundable.
Or, call Aspen customer service at 612-884-8008.
WHAT IS CONSIDERED YARD WASTE?
This is yard waste
- Bagged leaves
- Bagged grass clippings
- Bagged garden waste (Limit 35 lbs. per bag)
- Brush and twigs (limbs no more than 3 in. in diameter and no more than 4 ft. long tied in bundles no more than 2 ft. in diameter.)
This is not yard waste
- Dirt, sod, hay, straw
- Apples, pumpkins
- Tree stumps and large branches
- Animal feces
- Dead animals
- Rocks, concrete, asphalt
Less than a roll off? We’ll collect trash that’s too much for your cart, such as furniture, on the day of your regular pickup or any other day when you call or request an extra pickup.
Roll off container sizes
|Size||Typical Exterior Dimensions||Max. Volume|
|20 yard||22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 4 ft. high||20 cubic yards|
|30 yard||22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 6 ft. high||30 cubic yards|
|40 yard||22 ft. long by 8 ft. wide by 8 ft. high||40 cubic yards|
How to Save on Big Disposal.
When filling a roll off container, don’t intermix different types of waste in the box.
Construction/demolition waste, yard waste and household trash are each taxed differently. Household trash incurs a much higher tax rate, so if you contaminate your yard waste or construction debris with trash, you may have to pay much more than anticipated to dispose of it. Also don’t hide prohibited items in the load, such as tires or appliances, because you will be charged at a much higher rate by the disposal site.
Hennepin Energy Resource Co.
505 6th Avenue North
Minneapolis, MN 55405
Type: Mass Burn Waste-to-Energy
MN P.C.A. Permit No.: SW-396
Great River Energy
Elk River Resource Processing Plant
10700 165th Avenue N.W.
Elk River, MN 55330
Type: Refuse Derived Fuel Waste-to-Energy
MN P.C.A. Permit No.: SW-305
Recycling and Energy Center
100 Red Rock Road
Newport, MN 55055
Type: Refuse Derived Fuel Waste-to-Energy
MN P.C.A. Permit No.: SW-286
Burnsville Sanitary Landfill
2650 W. Cliff Road
Burnsville, MN 55337
Type: Solid Waste Landfill Demo
Mn P.C.A. Permit No.: SW-56